NEW! Maintenance Guidelines Now Available for Infiltration/Bioretention Basins and Stormwater Ponds
Check out the recommended guidelines for maintenance of specific basins/ponds in detail by visiting the Stormwater page on the Village of Vernon website: Basin/Pond Maintenance Guidelines These pamphlets are also available at the Village Hall during regular business hours M-F 8:00am - 3:30pm.
In addition to maintaining either a basin or pond, there are actions that residents can take to manage the land that drains to the basin/pond and reduce water pollution at the same time:
- Regularly sweep litter and grass clippings off sidewalks, driveways, streets and parking lots.
- Test the soil in landscape areas and follow recommended application rates for fertilizers and pesticides.
- PICK UP AFTER YOUR PETS to keep excess nutrients and bacteria out of the basin/pond.
- Minimize salt application to impervious areas. Salt generally passes through the basin soils, damaging the plants and polluting the receiving surface and ground water resources.
- Prevent sediment from leaving construction sites. The more sediment that enters the basin/pond, the sooner it will require expensive maintenance such as replacing the engineered soil, soil restoration or replanting.